7 Tips for Finding the Best Real Estate Agent for Your Property
Real estate agents are a dime a dozen these days, but the good ones are few and far between. Before choosing an agent, do your research. It will pay off tenfold in terms of maximizing the selling price of your home, minimizing listing time and ensuring that the selling and closing process will go smoothly. Choosing the right real estate agent is a crucial part of the selling process. Here are seven tips to help you make the most intelligent decision for your property and your needs:
1. Don't hire a realtor just because a friend recommends them.Many people hire someone based only on a friend's recommendation and wind up with poor representation.
2. Find an expertTo best serve your needs, find someone who demonstrates knowledge of your area, expertise in the process, and strong marketing skills.
3. Find out how the agent plans on marketing your propertyGone are the days when a home can just show up in MLS and be sold. Top real estate agents actually have a marketing process and their sales volumes speak for themselves. Realtors that are good at marketing and selling homes have strong track records, minimum listing periods and maximum selling prices.
4. Find out how many properties the real estate agent you are considering has actually listed and sold in the past yearHow many properties similar to yours have they personally sold in the last year? (Beware real estate "team" statistics, as the lead agent might be taking credit for the production of several junior agents.)
5. What is the agent's market list time?How long do similar properties stay on market with this agent compared to the market average?
6. Find an agent that knows how to use the internet and social media to market your homeMake sure your agent is active on the top online home shopping web sites and has experience using technology to market your home (e.g., Twitter, Facebook).
7. Get a first hand feel for the agentsInterview several agents in person and find one you feel you can trust and will enjoy working with, and that will best represent you as a seller before making a final decision.
Grace Frank is a million dollar/top 10% Chattanooga real estate producer, Accredited Buyer's Representative and certified Green Real Estate Agent specializing in Waterfront Property, Real Estate Investing and Chattanooga Green Real Estate in the Chattanooga region. She holds an MBA in marketing and puts her exceptional negotiating skills to work on behalf of her clients to exceed expectations. To learn more, visit Grace on Facebook.